Sunday, August 19, 2007


After taking Lisa's class, I was excited to use the technique to create another doll. This was another face I had sculpted and set aside, not sure what to do with him. I'm not sure why it is, but it seems like when I sculpt faces, they turn out to be male more often than not. I'm always pleased with the faces, but am challenged to come up with the rest of the doll to go with the face.

This face had a little bit of arrogance about it - and needed a pose to match. It took a little bit of engineering to come up with the pose using the method I learned in class. I did learn from this doll and I would do a stronger, longer support on the next one.

I had the pose and finished him and dressed him similar to Serenity, but I wasn't pleased. My friend Vicki was over (she is excellent with costuming) and I asked her what I should do for him. We went to my fabric stash and she made her suggestions. I took off the original clothes and redressed him as you see here. Voila! perfect. A piece of feather boa in rust became his hair, a dried pod with a feather made his hat. He holds another dried pod in his hand and a curly gold staff.

4 comments:

Lin said...

Nina! Your dolls are absolutely magical!! Such beautiful wee things ....!!!!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Love the three new dolls Nina-fantastic!!!

hugs, chris

Patti G. said...

Nina, these are so great! It is hard to imagine they are created from an idea and then become these super magical pieces!!!!!WOW!Each is special, and Butterflies in her Stomach is brilliant!!!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Maggie R said...

Hi Nina
Just had a tour through your Blog.
Your work is wonderful... I love it all.
Thanks for sharing
((((hugs))))
Maggie