Sunday, July 01, 2012

Gazpacho
I've had a recipe for gazpacho for over 20 years. The original came from a former co-worker of my husband. I only fix it during the summer, as the key is garden-fresh tomatoes. This and Salad Caprese are my most favorite summer treats. I love it when we have fresh tomatoes from the garden. I'm so spoiled that if I don't have fresh tomatoes from the garden, I just won't buy or eat tomatoes. What you buy in the store just does not compare. Back to the gazpacho - the original recipe is what I now refer to as basic. I always add cilantro for a Mexican version. After all, I am from Texas. Last week I was going to make a batch, but the store did not have cilantro (unfortunately I can't grow it - cilantro bolts on me horribly). I do, however, have tons of basil,l so I decided to make an Italian version. YES! a new winner! Here is the recipe and the variations. I prefer to serve this room temperature, but chilled works as well.
Gazpacho
8 - 10 course chopped tomatoes
1 peeled & seeded cucumber, chopped
1 chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup water
5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
1 Teaspon Course Ground Pepper
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro (Mexican version) optional
1/4 cup chopped Basil (Italian version) optional
Add tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, garlic and herb (cilantro or basil, if desired) to food processor and blend until course chopped. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
Perfect summer dish - Gazpacho

2 comments:

Tink's Tinkerings said...

how yummy

Tink's Tinkerings said...

it is real hard to leave a comment on your page but here goes again. I just love all your recipes here