Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Components Bought
Industrial Glam Necklace
     A few months ago I had the honor of being asked to create a piece for Michaels October Jewelry Month Showcase. They wanted me to use Susan Lenart Kazmir's Industrial Chic line as the basis for my piece. I was thrilled to be able to use my friend Susan's pieces, as it fits my style so well. Her new components add a bit of glitter and glam to her usual industrial look.   I let them guide me for the theme of this necklace. I loved the stark contrast of the rhinestones and glitter with the industrial metal edge.I added beads from the Bead Gallery line to complete the necklace in my steampunk style.  I created a piece that is now one of my very favorites - freeform & asymmetrial.
     Here is the supply list and the finished piece on Michaels website for the Industrial Glam Necklace. The instructions are also there, but I've included extra step-out images to help make it easier for you to create your own version.

   
    Use Chain with Glass Beads and Stones for one side of necklace. Measure and cut plain chain to desired length. Attach plain chain to chain with beads and stones. Attach Lobster Clasp to plain chain. Loop on other chain will serve as link.







Condition thread and thread needle. Attach to chain link as show in picture. Randomly string metal plated multi-color round beads and weave in and out of the chain.
 
 

    Once you have a base of metal beads, start incorporating the glass beads.

      Tie off strands and secure with knots when you run out of thread. Start next strand in previous method, securing on chain.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Continue building base, and begin adding metal donuts, weaving beads and strands to secure.
 
 

   Start adding charm components, weaving in more metal beads and strands.

    Continue building necklace, constantly holding up to neck in front of mirror to make sure it hangs properly.

    Add keys and other dangling charms by the same method.

Continue adding beads and components until you are pleased with the results.
I left one chain without any embellishment, as I loved the asymmetry that broke up the regular flow of the necklace.




No comments: