Saturday, November 01, 2014

Updating the China Cabinets

After redoing the ceiling, the room was darker and seemed very mono-toned. We have 3 china cabinets in the room, all given to us when they didn't work in other's homes. I use them to display art. I've seen all types of furniture upcycling on Pinterest and Hometalk using chalkboard paint and I decided to do the china cabinet from my sister-in-law. I felt it would also bring some lightness into the room. Michaels sells the Americana Decor Chalk Finish Paint.
Americana Decor Chalky Paint
Paint - I used Lace, Antique Creme Wax & Clear Creme Wax

China cabinet before refinishing - Nina Originals
China Cabinet Before - nice, but outdated

Sanded & taped before painting. I learned it is best not to sand first
It took 3 coats of paint to cover as I wanted. Due to sanding, I had to spray water on the piece to get the paint to move right for me.

Left side is antiqued, right side hasn't been yet. Love how it brings out the detail.

China Cabinet upcycle with American Chalky Finish by Nina Originals
Finished china cabinet back in place. After allowing antiquing wax to dry, applied 2 coats of clear wax.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks amazing! I love the look! What is the name of the darker colored wax? I can only find dark brown wax and light brown wax.